Thursday, March 3, 2011

...Fitness challenge, 2 days down...


Well my legs are really still but my spirit is strong!  Don't let the strip mall fool you, everything in Atlanta is in a strip mall, and Oni Fitness is a fantastic new space in Vinings...

This is where I just started teaching some more classes, and where the start of my challenge began in a kettle bells class with Diane and wow.


Day 1:

We had a good class size and some fun music and we just went to it.  It was my first time and I used the lightest weights which I believe were 18 lbs.  Here is a little more info on Kettle Bells, it was my first class but it won't be my last!  Apparently there is a little bit of a fad doing this at home with a video but I definitely think at least in the beginning having an instructor is great to help get the form down...




We moved through three sets and I felt myself fatiguing through each but I made it through just fine... I though later that night that I felt great and headed over to Peachtree Yoga Studio for my regular Tuesday evening class with Todd (which is always a challenge, fun and deep.)  I felt a little more tired than usual but the class was great.

Day 2:

I woke up on Wednesday though and wow, good morning stiffness.  My arms were totally fine but everything from the waist down was totally seized up!  I immediately got out of bed around 7:30 am and fed the pup and then walked the Chastain Park loop from our house (about 5 miles).

This is an Atlanta Gem with a golf course, horse riding, tennis, trails, a school, art center, sports fields, a babbling brook through the middle and walking and biking lanes.  It was a great start to the day but I found my legs even more stiff afterward!

I tried to do some stretching to no avail and then jumped into a salt bath which was fantastic.  I was able to stretch more after this in preparation to teach a class at Oni at 6pm.  That class went well and I got in a few stretches myself.  I was feeling good so I stayed and had a short private pilates class with Shelley (from Oni).  This was also my first pilates class and I now understand on a whole new level why people swear by the ab strengthening series!  It was great and I think it will make its way into my life as it targets your abs in a way yoga doesn't and help them learn to fire which took all the strain out of my low back (my problem area). 

This brings me to the end of day two, with glorious stiffness and a happy mind.  I am taking another kettle bells class today with one of the owners of Oni- Jack and I am dragging some friends along...

While I cannot tone anyone's butt from afar (Laura Kramer), you are welcome in Atlanta!!  Come visit and we will work it out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment