Wednesday, August 24, 2011

...times they are a changin'... for now...


Well after my mini meltdown things have picked up immensely- funny how that works, but I can't quite bring myself to trust or enjoy it fully.

The upside is that I was offered (and I accepted) a position as part-time psychology faculty at the Art Institute of Atlanta and  began last Thursday.  The downside is that I climbed a bit higher and now fear the fall even more than from that other lowly ledge I was clinging to.  Does that sound pathetic?  I am not trying to be weak or whiny, just honest I think.  My first class actually went amazingly well, we talked about research methods, schools of thought- oh and I told them Humanism was like the sweet old aunt of psychotherapy that always makes you muffins (we are keeping it real simple ;)).

I remember a yoga class, or maybe it was during my training, when we talked about emotional life being like a wave- there are ups and downs.  The only given is that you will in fact continue to float up and down until, I guess, you sink to the bottom.  I eluded to my own malingering in the trough of the wave in my last post and now I may have begun the long climb out and I find myself hesitant to enjoy it.  Isn't that funny?  To a certain extent I got what I wanted and now I am afraid to play with it- lest I scratch the paint perhaps?

What is the point of getting what I want, or succeeding, or even just staying the course throughout the low times if I am not at least going to try to push myself onto my knees and surf that damn wave for a minute?

The upside: I have a wave to surf.
The downside:  I might fall.

Time to do a fluffy design post, coming next I promise.

2 comments:

  1. and knowing you, I think you will pick back up and wait for the next wave. Only this time you will ride it like a champ!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you'll fall into water and not onto the pavement, unless you're sidewalk surfing. Of course if that's the case and the sidewalk in going up and down you've got bigger problems to deal with. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete