Tuesday, September 28, 2010

...Shelf Bliss...

Sean and I only moved here to Atlanta in January 2010, and it took us a few months to find a home we wanted to buy, at which point Sean picked out a mid-century modern-ish soviet looking block town house that I was somewhat opposed to (picture tour to come). That is until we came to see it, fell in love, moved in and proceeded to change everything in it! One aspect of the place that I immediatly loved were the built in bookshelves, here is a picture of them the day we moved in...


Pretty damn messy, but you get the idea. This created the challenge of using it as art, display and storage all in one. Sean and I did not always agree, as I told him once when he tried to move a picture that was carefully placed just so behind a bowl, "you make things ugly." I am pretty sure he was thinking, "I'll give you something ugly," but he laughed, and more importantly put the picture back.

To be fair, he has won some battles too, as evidenced by his growing collection of antique (read: old) pulleys that are now on display! So now that we have it much more set up I decided to share my favorite shelves, as well as some picture perfect inspiration ones for all of us.


First, lets note the beautiful paint job I did in the dining room, goodbye matt brown adobe walls forever.


The other side...


We have a shelf of loooove for all our siblings. This is Laura and Esa reveling in engagement bliss, as well as Laura graduating from Pratt. The bowls were a wedding gift from Sarah, we love them thanks Sarah (who happens to be getting married herself soon!)


Ahhh, Sean and I hanging out with my grandma's crystal, those who know me well know I have a deeply hidden passion for all that is sparkly, I think sparkle is my alter-ego.


Oliver and Carla eloped to Jamaica! Annnnd now the get to chill with the mid-mod dishes (which are really unique and may warrant later blogging on their own.


Ahhh, my grandma's china, set off beautifully by an original Carol Maguire that I love, check her out she does fine art and most recently textiles at Carol Maguire Home where you can find fun tablecloths and the like.


This is my beautiful mama, her senior picture which I ended up with in black and white, and technicolor.


This is a Mary Lee Kerr sculpture that we were given for our wedding also, Sean thinks this shelf looks too plain, it may be my favorite...


Just a pretty picture of Crystal Colorado, and a fake orchid... I have never owned a fake flower before but saw so many beautiful ones in design blogs that I gave it a whirl and I must say, it is rather easy to care for...


Another point of contention are all my books, I have so many books that the other day when I was looking for one in particular I noticed that I had duplicates of Don Delillo's White Noise and didn't even know it. Sean would like to buy me a kindle.

Here are some other beauties that are far and away superior, but much further from home...

Designer: Olivia Blechschmidt


Designer: Alison Smithson, a British designer who is inspired by the wok of Joseph Cornell.

Designer: Jon Goulder


Nope, I don't know how they did it, but I dig it!


Wouldn't we all love a little more octopus in our lives.... well here is where you can get it!


This came from the Container store, we did something similar in our tiny bathroom and love it.

Ok, that is all I have for now, but I am going to leave you with this final beautiful thought....



droooool....

2 comments:

  1. so much to look at on your shelves. i must say it is one of my favorite features of your place too! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the shelf tour! I also love your built-in shelves. And I think that Sean should buy that Eames hang-it-all for Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete