Thursday, November 4, 2010

...bring on the green chiles....

 Come on my green chile magic carpet ride...



Rosales Produce: Mel and I stopped here on our way to the airport and for ten dollars I bought two grocery bags filled with roasted green chiles.  Our eyes started to water on the way to the airport, it was as if we were sitting in the car with low-grade green chile pepperspray air fresheners.  They will still piping hot when I got to the airport when I packed them into my backpack.  My clothing still smells like fresh roasted green chiles.  At this point you may be wondering how many times I can possible type 'green chiles' in one blog post.  Well my friends you will just have to read on to find out...


Warehouse FULL of all kinds of peppers...


Like a rays of amazingness from the heavens...


Let the roasting begin!




I got one bag of Big Jim peppers and one bag of Sandia peppers.  I split the chiles with my friend Cindy (see below) when I got home and I froze my bounty.  I broke out four this evening and made a tasty Green Chile, Chicken Stew.  I followed that recipe with a few key changes due to ingredient malfunction.


Sandia Chiles!





 
YUM!!!

My Adaptation:
  • 1 pound boneless chicken cut into 1/4-inch pieces
  • 4 cups chicken stock
  • 2 cups medium sized red potatoes cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 4 spicy sandia green chiles roasted, peeled, and diced.
  • 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 1/4 cup whole kernel corn (fresh or frozen)
  • 3 Tablespoon all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 cup garlic red pasta sauce (didn't have tomatoes!)
  • Salt to taste
I pretty much followed the instructions, I just added everything and cooked it up, adding the corn at the tail end...

Green Chile Chicken Stew Steal This Recipe® step-by-step Instructions: 1. Heat vegetable oil in a pot.
2. Add flour and make into a roux for the stew base.
3. Wisk in chicken stock so no lumps form.
4. Add chicken, potatoes, garlic and green chile sauce.
5. Bring to a boil.
6. Simmer for 40-45 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the chicken is cooked.
7. Add corn and bring back to a boil.
8. Season to taste and serve with warm flour tortillas.

More tasty green chile tips, check out Hatch Chile Heaven.

Wanna order them online??  Check out New Mexican Connection.

Oh, what is this picture doing here?  Hi Viva Cindy!

1 comments:

  1. LOVE IT...damn that pink dress is hot!! also that chicken stew looks soooooo delish! i will have to make it!!

    ReplyDelete